Friday, February 22, 2008

Guatemala Video

Guatemala 2007
I visited Guatemala during the summer of 2007. I had never been to Central America before and I have been wanting to go ever since watching Salvador 20 years ago. I wasn't disappointed. I spent my time in the Western Highlands, which is an area populated by the indigenous Mayan. I was based out of Xela (Quetzaltenango), where I took Spanish classes, learned how to salsa (sort of), hopped "chicken busses" to various destinations, etc. I fell in love with the area (the city of Xela, as well as the general rural Western Highland area). It is one of the very few places I visited that when I left, I vowed to return. And that is my plan. I will be returning this summer for about seven weeks. In addition to taking Spanish classes (and traveling), I wil also be teaching English to street children. I will write about my experiences here.

I made this video (a compilation of pictures) to document my trip. Enjoy the video and please share your comments!



John

No comments: